catgets (Was: Re: xfprint conflict)

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Fri Mar 28 15:34:30 CET 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:48:24 +0100
Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 27, Mar 2003, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
> > > BTW: A different issue: I'd really like to see xfce using catgets
> > > instead of gettext for two reasons: a) catgets is POSIX standard
> > > (gettext is simply a SunOS/Solaris thang)
> >
> > I don't see how that is an argument at all, really.
>
> This is what makes me sad of opensource, no sence for standardisation
> at all. It might not be the main argument, but it is an argument in
> any case.

My point is a bit more subtle than that (don't underestimate me ;-). In
practice gettext is as much a standard as catgets is. I'm not against
standards, I'm against purism. The POSIX label doesn't mean much to me.
We should follow standards to improve consistancy and interoperability
not because it has a certain official label on it.

	Jasper