catgets (Was: Re: xfprint conflict)

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Thu Mar 27 20:17:35 CET 2003

Hey Benedikt,

I'm sorry, but that sounds like a really bad plan to me ...

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:21:43 +0100
Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> BTW: A different issue: I'd really like to see xfce using catgets
> instead of gettext for two reasons: a) catgets is POSIX standard
> (gettext is simply a SunOS/Solaris thang)

I don't see how that is an argument at all, really.

> and b) the gettext backend
> is slow and ugly (and you can easily run into problems with that)
> whereas catgets has a simply and fast backend. Just to mention:
> catgets is still not an optimal solution, but its a better solution
> than gettext (especially GNU gettext) from my point of view.

I don't believe the speed difference, which seems to me the only
valid reason you mention, will be noticeable at all.

Also, it would require a big rewrite of translations, string
marking code, etc., right? Not to mention it would require me and
possibly others to learn a new way of handling translations.

The catgets interface seems to require the programmer to manually keep
track of mesage ID's; that sounds like a lot of needless work.

And we'd be using gettext anyway, indirectly through gtk+. Changing all
this sounds like _much_ more trouble than it's worth to me.

In short, I klemmer that,

	Jasper