mcs-manager compile error

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Mar 20 12:54:45 CET 2003

On Thu, 20, Mar 2003, Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> On Thu, 20, Mar 2003, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
> > Hey,
>
> Hello Jasper,
>
> > > Can you please post the regarding lines from the Makefile?
> > >

> > Note that the automake version was 1.4, which may explain the failure.
> > We use automake 1.7.2, autoconf 2.57, and libtool 1.4a (ml-20010614).
>
> Oh, damn, I was blind :-)
>
> > Secondly, benedikt, I was wondering how does using
> > --enable-maintainer-mode affect configure? Doesn't it make configure run
> > automake? That would be bad, because autogen.sh without arguments should
> > produce a configure that can be used by everyone.
>
> --enable-maintainer-mode "should" only add some make targets helpful to
> maintainers, it "should" not require the user to have automake/autoconf
> installed at all.
>
> I'll try to figure out.

Ok, this is how its going to be:

Adding --enable-maintainer-mode to ./configure do add some helpful make
targets (that may depend on automake/autoconf). So, if users run either
autogen.sh or run configure with --enable-maintainer-mode they should
ensure that they have the correct automake/autoconf stuff installed.

But in general these command line option is only helpful for developers,
so users should avoid using it, so they won't get any trouble.

regards,
Benedikt

    -- Henry Spencer