Patch for xfrun

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed Mar 12 11:56:50 CET 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:35:12 +0000
James Tappin <sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:40:46 +0100
> Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at moongroup.com> wrote:
>
> JH> As a side note, I have been wondering about the usefulness of the
> JH> 'start in terminal' option in the run dialog. It seems to me it
> JH> would be just as easy or even easier to simply start a terminal in
> JH> the first place.
> JH>
> JH> Idem for the open directory in xterm or filemanager feature. Why
> JH> not open that terminal or filemanager in the first place?
>
> In both cases, one operation as against two. Actually almost the only
> thing I normally use a launcher for is to get to directories. Both
> here at work and at home I have lots of directories /data<n> or
> similar and to get to one of those using xfrun (or its KDE equivalent
> -- IIRC that's a part of the desktop program there) is significantly
> quicker than having filemanager bookmarks for all of them. So for me
> if the launcher can't do directories it's not much use.

Right, that's very interesting to hear.

I will have a closer look at the patch soon. At first glance it looks
fine. Except I don't think the +ls is required. xfterm4 can change to a
directory if given as argument.

I was wondering wether we should hardcode xffm or use a FILEMAN
environmental variable or something with a default of xffm. Any
opinions?

Thanks,
	Jasper