xfdesktop menu not seen

Mark C. Chu-Carroll mcc at watson.ibm.com
Fri Mar 7 21:20:57 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 11:37, James Tappin wrote:
> Hi there,
> 	I've now got xfce4 running resaonably sanely on my RH 7.3 box, apart
> from 1 thing: the LMB desktop menu is not appearing -- or rather it just
> appears as a small grey rectangle as might be expected for a menu with
> no contents (screenshot attached). I've tried copying menu.xml from the
> xfdesktop tree to both ~/.xfce4 and ~/.xfce4/settings with no results.
> No errors are being logged in ~/.xsession-errors. The RMB workspace menu
> is fine.
>
> Any ideas???

Yup, I had this problem. It turned out to be the version of gtk-2. The
desktop menu doesn't work with gtk-2.0.2, which is what RedHat installs
by default. Upgrade your gtk2 installation, and it'll work perfectly.

	-Mark

--
Mark Craig Chu-Carroll,  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
*** The Stellation project: Advanced SCM for Collaboration
*** Work: mcc at watson.ibm.com/Home: markcc at bestweb.net