start menu request (Was: Re: reporting for duty)

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Mon Jun 30 12:27:44 CEST 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:33:12 +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:

> Just let me make a comment as non-xfce-developer.
>

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 at 10:26 (+0200), Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> > On Mon, 30, Jun 2003, Biju Chacko wrote:
> >
> > > I wouldn't like this kind of plugin to be in the default XFce
> > > config, but it does introduce flexibility that certain people may
> > > want. With this, and a 'taskbar' panel plugin you could emulate a
> > > K or gnome panel.
> > > Ewwwwww! Yuck!
> >
> > I really dislike this idea. We're not going to create another
> > Gnome/KDE-clone.
>
> 100 % ACK. If someone wants Microsoft Windows, he schould use it, if
> someone would like to use KDE, he should use it. Same for GNOME. I
> think the xfce4 panel is very good!
>
> What we need are more plugins like a CPU usage viewer, network
> diagram, etc., but not a GNOME-Panel-clone.

My attitude is slightly different. I feel we should focus on the CDE-ish
kind of panel we have now. Thats what I like, and what I use. But if we
can accomodate different usage modes without adding bloat and kludging
up the codebase, we can do it.

For example, if somebody is used to WindowMaker he can configure XFce to
behave similarly. All he has to do is use vertical mode, switch off
popups and use a NeXT-ish WM theme.

It isn't an objective of XFce to do that. However, we have a bunch of
features we need for various purposes. If people use it in a way we
don't like, that's hardly our problem, is it?

In short, an 'X' menu plugin or a tasklist plugin would be things that
would be nice to have but shouldn't be a big priority for us.

-- b