start menu request (Was: Re: reporting for duty)

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Mon Jun 30 05:56:05 CEST 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:39:33 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Both of you are right. There are certainly arguments in favor of such
> a plugin, it's just that I'm not going to write it any time soon ;-)
>
> Also, it should be using the freedesktop menu spec. This is not
> entirely trivial. Ask botsie ;-)
>
> If anyone else is interested in writing this, I'm sure many people are
> willing to help, including myself.

I'd suggest that this be postponed to the 4.2 dev cycle. I'm planning
(assuming I actually get the time to do it) to put a freedesktop menu
parser into libxfcegui then. Havoc sent me some code that should help.

I wouldn't like this kind of plugin to be in the default XFce config,
but it does introduce flexibility that certain people may want.

With this, and a 'taskbar' panel plugin you could emulate a K or gnome
panel.

Ewwwwww! Yuck!

On second thoughts, maybe that *isn't* such a good idea.

:)

-- b