start menu request (Was: Re: reporting for duty)

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sun Jun 29 18:39:33 CEST 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:13:36 -0400
Matthew Weier OPhinney <matthew-lists at weierophinney.net> wrote:

> -- Artem Vakhitov <artem_vakhitov at pisem.net> wrote
> (on Sunday, 29 June 2003, 05:41 PM +0400):
> >

> > >Well, anyone could write it, but I'm not going to. I would prefer
> > >to have that available in the desktop mouse menu.
> > >
> > Yes, this would be nice too. But you see, the panel is always
> > accessible (unless you bring it down to normal or bottom layer --
> > but why?), and the desktop is not (if you have many windows). So it
> > seems to me that the button on the panel makes more sense
> > usability-wise. Any additional considerations I didn't take into
> > account?
>
> I can add another one -- what about those not running xfdesktop...?

Both of you are right. There are certainly arguments in favor of such a
plugin, it's just that I'm not going to write it any time soon ;-)

Also, it should be using the freedesktop menu spec. This is not entirely
trivial. Ask botsie ;-)

If anyone else is interested in writing this, I'm sure many people are
willing to help, including myself.

	Jasper