start menu request (Was: Re: reporting for duty)

Artem Vakhitov artem_vakhitov at pisem.net
Sun Jun 29 15:41:32 CEST 2003

Hi,

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

>Hey,
>
>On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:24:06 +0400
>Artem Vakhitov <artem_vakhitov at pisem.net> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm new to the list. Since I installed XFCE 4 beta 1 it became my
>>desktop of choice! One little question: is it ever planned to have a
>>panel applet a-la Start button? Maybe it's not in line with XFCE
>>philosophy, but this thing is nice to have -- not to use it often
>>(this is what we have launchers for), but to have an overview over all
>>installed applications.
>>

>Well, anyone could write it, but I'm not going to. I would prefer to
>have that available in the desktop mouse menu.

Yes, this would be nice too. But you see, the panel is always accessible
(unless you bring it down to normal or bottom layer -- but why?), and
the desktop is not (if you have many windows). So it seems to me that
the button on the panel makes more sense usability-wise. Any additional
considerations I didn't take into account?

Regards,
Artem Vakhitov