Seeking HOWTO xsm with xfce4

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Jun 21 05:08:31 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 22:35, Biju Chacko wrote:

> man xsm is pretty helpful, actually.
>
> For basic usage, just exec xsm from your xinitrc. Then use it's prompts
> to start the applications you need (including wm, panel, etc). Save the
> session and choose the same session name when you next start.

	This is where I'm losing track.  I'm running with gdm and the only
~/.xinitrc file I have is for xfce3.  I know xfce4 works 'cause I'm in
there now.  Does the ~/.xinitrc override whatever the default is for the
environment that's loaded?  How is xfce4 called from gdm?  That's
probably a better question.

> That never worked for me under RH 7.3 or 8.0. xsm would always hang when
> trying to load a saved session. YMMV.

	I'm on RH 9 now so who knows.  On a side note, this laptop I have at
home originally came with RH 7.1 and I have done upgrades (not
reinstalls) for every version since.  The other day I tried booting into
GNOME and KDE since I haven't used either of them since, well, never.
Both environments are all hosed up.  But that's a total non-issue
because I only run xfce or mwm or vtwm (and the last two are usually
what I boot into as root on the vry rare occasions I need to).  I'd
probably use mwm a bit more if it could do focus follows mouse.  I also
have the real CDE that XiG sells bit haven't tried it on any of my Linux
systems since early 2000.

> Once you have this much working, you can try to get your default session
> working. That is, a list of applications that need to be started for all
> saved sessions.

	Once I figure out the xinitrc thing I should be good to go.

Thanks, B0man,
Joe

--
Paradise; can it be all I heard it was?
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there.