.xinitrc for XFce patch suggestion

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Fri Jun 20 15:38:25 CEST 2003

-- Ric <fhj52ads at yahoo.com> wrote
(on Thursday, 19 June 2003, 06:47 PM -0700):
> Excellent questions.
>
> --- Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
<snip>
> > - How does that work with other than bash shells ?
>
> As for other than sh, which ones? csh/tsch, ch...?
> The script as it is now, is only for sh which, on MDK, is
> bash.

A proper 'sh' script will utilize POSIX standards; as such, it should
run on any POSIX-compliant shell. That's the important thing. I believe
there's some documents over at tldp.org that will explain which
commands, tests, and expansions are POSIX compliant.

<snip>
> Oh, I agree.  But, frankly, if it was up to me, I would
> remove the lines
>
> # Launch xscreensaver (if available)
> xscreensaver -no-splash &
>
> from the XFce4 xinitrc file completely and force the end
> user to make a conscious decision as to whether run the
> monitor all the time and hopefully it will be a
> conscientious decision.

I agree completely with this; I don't use xscreensaver because it uses
too many resources (I use xlock instead), but it *is* on my system for
others to use.

The real point here is that the XFce4 xinitrc file should only load
those items *specific* to XFce/wm4, and provide a commented area for
explaining where to load other programs (or, alternatively, explain
about the Desktop/Autostart directory and its usage).

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/