Trouble using a single key

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Fri Jun 20 15:29:46 CEST 2003

-- Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote
(on Friday, 20 June 2003, 09:51 AM +0530):
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:51:24 -0700, Jesse Wagner wrote:
>
> > This will not work for some reason:
> >
> > shortcut_1_key=Pause
> > shortcut_1_exec=xmms -t
> >
> > But this works just fine:
> >
> > shortcut_1_key=Alt+Pause
> > shortcut_1_exec=xmms -t
> >
> > The Pause key is not broken, I have tried it with an e but I have the
> > same result.  I compiled everything w/ the defaults. I'm using beta 1
> > btw.
>
> All shortcuts need modifiers like 'Ctrl' or 'Alt'.

If you don't want modifiers, you might do what I do: I have a keytheme
that sets keys for all the xfwm4-specific actions (moving/manipulating
windows and workspaces), and then use epist (from the openbox project)
for shortcuts (which, for me, also includes shortcuts for xfhelp4; that
way I have a clear separation).

Actually, epist isn't the only choice; there are a number of keygrabbers
out there. You might also try 'keygrabber' from the Oroborus project,
and I believe there's another XLibs keygrabber out there as well (look
through this list for the past couple weeks; somebody mentioned it).

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/