Hi! - XFce4 srpms

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 17:59:54 CEST 2003

Hi all!

My name is Ric Johnson and I recently joined the XFce4 Dev
list.

Without a too lengthy bow, I like to say "Thank you!" to
Olivier et al for XFce.  I'm reasonably certain that I
would not still be using Linux today(almost 4 years and
still running...) if XFce had not been available way back
in 1999.

Thanks.
^^^^^

Last Friday ... I found a BETA for XFce4 at the home site
just waiting to be tested.  I could not have been more
pleased(except to find XFce4 already done of course!).  :-)

I dld all the SRPMS from Source Forge and began the
compilations on my MDK 9 dev system.
The short version is that the SRPMS do not work as
planned/hoped.

Are you all aware that some of the src.rpms will not build
on any RPM distro that uses the gtk+2 package because the
Requires is for  gtk2  and/or  gtk2-devel?  The "+" is a
significant difference.

The affected SRPMS are

gtk-xfce-engine-2.1.1-1.src.rpm
libxfcegui4-3.90.0-1.src.rpm
xfce-mcs-plugins-3.90.0-1.src.rpm
xffm-3.90.381-1.src.rpm

Of course, the binaries will not install for the same
reason.

I'm sure everyone wants the source and binaries to be
available/useable for everyone with the Gimp Toolkit
gtk+-2.x.x installed so, can we fix that?

Ric

=====
****