xffm translation: date specification

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Thu Jun 19 15:39:33 CEST 2003

Hey Benny,

El mié, 18-06-2003 a las 15:50, Benedikt Meurer escribió:
> On Wed, 18, Jun 2003, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>
> Edscott,
>
> > > I'm currently work on a translation for the file manager xffm. A part of
> > > the translation is specifying the correct date format according to
> > > strftime() syntax. But: Even if I change the value the date format is
> > > not changed in xffm. The other translation are applied. There could be
> > > no error in the syntax since I just removed the year or something like
> > > this to test.
> >
> > The date format code was contributed by the guys at GNU who wrote GNU
> > "ls". The output format should be the same as that given by a "ls -l"
> > command.
>
> I said we should get rid of that gnu strftime() hack some time ago. I'd
> prefer to use the systems strftime() instead. Or maybe use the glib
> "Date & time" functions (don't know about them).

I agree with you, but I don't know how to do it without breaking things.
I have no idea how the GNU hack works, I just did a cut and paste and it
worked for me. Apparently it has a problem with German date format...
:-\

> Why? (IMHO) we try to keep the other components "hack-free" (we had
> discussion on wm and panel lately), so lets keep xffm "hack-free"
> as well (just my opinion).

The only issue here is that since I have no idea what the hack consists
of (having just done a cut and paste from the GNU-ls code) I would
probably just replace on hack with another. If you know how to get rid
of the hack, please do. All I ask for is:
-files younger than 6 months show hh:mm instead of year
-no strings for month translations be necessary in the po files (they're
big enough already).

If you could help me on these issues I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW, OT, I'm going to change the behaviour on the copy operation.
Previously only moved files received the date of the original file. In
the future, so will copied files, since the date information is much
more usefull if it reflects content. This will make working with CVS
sandboxes a bit faster.

regards,

Edscott