xffm translation: date specification

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Jun 18 22:50:30 CEST 2003

On Wed, 18, Jun 2003, edscott wilson garcia wrote:

Edscott,

> > I'm currently work on a translation for the file manager xffm. A part of
> > the translation is specifying the correct date format according to
> > strftime() syntax. But: Even if I change the value the date format is
> > not changed in xffm. The other translation are applied. There could be
> > no error in the syntax since I just removed the year or something like
> > this to test.
>
> The date format code was contributed by the guys at GNU who wrote GNU
> "ls". The output format should be the same as that given by a "ls -l"
> command.

I said we should get rid of that gnu strftime() hack some time ago. I'd
prefer to use the systems strftime() instead. Or maybe use the glib
"Date & time" functions (don't know about them).

Why? (IMHO) we try to keep the other components "hack-free" (we had
discussion on wm and panel lately), so lets keep xffm "hack-free"
as well (just my opinion).

> regards,
> Edscott

Benedikt