2 panels: bug?

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Wed Jun 18 15:20:27 CEST 2003

-- Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote
(on Wednesday, 18 June 2003, 09:24 AM +0200):
> On Tue, 17, Jun 2003, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 15:06, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> > > On Tue, 17, Jun 2003, Gavrila wrote:
> > > The problem is: All panels save to the same file.
> >
> > But it should so easy to keep a panel counter as a Atom and save the
> > config with a postfix (like xfce4rc.0, xfce4rc.1, etc.)
>
> Sure, its easy. But the question was: Does it *NOW* work with two panels? ;)

What do you mean, exactly? I think the behaviour was perfectly well
described: you can start multiple panels, but each panel instance uses
the same configuration (i.e., same launchers, same position, etc.).
You can move them around, but you cannot change items or properties
(other than position) without changing them for all. For multiple panels
to be useful, multiple panel config files are necessary.

You might look at how ROX-Filer does this -- ROX even allows the user to
specify the name of the panel (I think Olivier would call each name an
atom), so that a user can mix and match which panels are loaded either
through invocation (e.g., 'rox -t top_panel -b bottom_panel') or via
SOAP-RPC (and, actually, all command-line options are internally
converted to SOAP-RPC, anyways).

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/