alt-tab to panel

Bernhard Walle Bernhard.Walle at gmx.de
Tue Jun 17 23:09:54 CEST 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 at 10:09 (+0530), Biju Chacko wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:19:51 +0200, Mickael Graf wrote:
> > Biju Chacko wrote:
> >
> > > However, considering the persistent demands for removing the panel
> > > from the Alt-Tab list, we may have to do something about it for 4.2.
> > > Most probably we'll have to add an option to the panel not to appear
> > > on the Alt-Tab or receive the keyboard focus. However, neither Jas
> > > nor Olivier is around so I'm not going to commit to anything.
> > >
> > I like to control the pabel from the keyboard, it's very useful.
> > Remove it from the Alt-Tab list if you want, but please give me a way
> > to give the focus to the panel without touching the mouse.
>
> If implemented it'll be optional. I was merely noting that there seem to
> quite a few people who prefer this behavior, so we'll have to cater to
> them too.

I browsed a bit in the archive (Google) and saw that the Alt-Tab focus
to panel was just added in December 2002. And I recognized that it was
no panel specific issue but a interpetion of the _SKIP_TASKBAR netwm
flag.

I seems that there are two groups of people out using xfwm4: some that
would like to include such windows in Alt-tab and some not. So why not
just include a configuration option for the window manager that specfies
whether a window that is not displayed in the taskbar should be
displayed in the Alt-tab list.

This would be *no* special hack for the panel but a general solution
(which also applies to gkrellm, for example) and all users would have
what they want. I'm against a huge value of configuration options, too,
but I think that would be more needed than specifying the edge
resistance, for example.

(Since there's a feature freeze, it would apply only in version 4.2, I
know, though, I know.)

Regards,
Bernhard

--
"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether