alt-tab to panel

Bernhard Walle Bernhard.Walle at gmx.de
Tue Jun 17 14:31:53 CEST 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 at 08:01 (+0530), Biju Chacko wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:24:27 +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:
>
> > what do you think about making the xfce panel always the last
> > application while switching with Alt-Tab.
>
> Olivier (who maintains xfwm) seems to be busy of late, so I'll reply for
> him. Olivier has been very consistent in not adding any special case
> code into xfwm4. So I don't think he'll be very open to this idea.

I just think that a panel is not a normal window. There's another
inconsistency: If I open the application via a button on the panel, the
old application gets not focused until the new one appears. If I use a
menu (the arrow left/over a button) then it gets focused so that the
problem doesn't occur.

Each behaviour has its advantages and disadvantages, but it should be
consistent. What do you think about this?

> I can only suggest a workaround. Use a WM like Sawfish, with which you
> can configure special behavior for specific windows.

Why should I use a configuration monster like sawfish if I really like
xfwm4 (looks good, is fast, small and easy to configure) and just find
one little thing could be done better?

> However, considering the persistent demands for removing the panel from
> the Alt-Tab list, we may have to do something about it for 4.2. Most
> probably we'll have to add an option to the panel not to appear on the
> Alt-Tab or receive the keyboard focus.

That would be really great!

Gruss,
Bernhard

--
Nichts im Leben ist umsonst, nicht einmal der Tod - denn der kostet das Leben