Panel's keyboard focus

Johan H jhg at ucs.co.za
Thu Jun 12 09:36:03 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 19:16, Karsten Luetkewitz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Currently the panel can receive keyboard focus, which means that
> XFce-panel will always be one of the windows that are included in the
> list of cycleable (Alt-Tab) windows. That is IMHO a huge usability
> regression, I can't think of a sane reason to let the panel receive
> keyboard focus. The following patch makes the panel not
> keyboard-focusable, launcher menus etc are not affected by this patch.
>
> http://p.plskthx.org/files/themes/xfce4/panel-avoid-keyboard-focus.patch

Hi everyone,

I find the panel in my tablist VERY anoying.  My solution is not to
remove keyboard focus from the panel, but to stop it from appearing in
my tablist. I dont have a patch right now.

in client.c in xfwm4.
line 	3069.
clientGetNext (Client * c, int mask)
{

if ((c2->type == WINDOW_SPLASHSCREEN)
 || (c2->type == WINDOW_DESKTOP))

becomes...

if ((c2->type == WINDOW_SPLASHSCREEN)
 || (c2->type == WINDOW_DESKTOP) || (c2->type == WINDOW_DOCK))

in xfce4/panel

in panel.c
in function create_panel(void)
line 594.

below
set_window_skip (panel.toplevel);
I added
set_window_type_dock(panel.toplevel, TRUE);

This makes the panel a dock-type window.  After my changes,  xfwm4
ignores doc-type windows in the tablist. This affects gkrellm too, which
is perfect for me.

Having the panel in my tablist is a `i will not this wm'  kind of
issue.  These changes still allows me to use keyboard navigation on the
panel.

I would suggest a setup option for this,  but xfce4 is in release
candidate stage,  which is a bad time to introduce new features. Maybe
when 4.0 is out we can discuss the merit of another option.  Is 'Havoc
Pennington' on this list? ;)

Authors: Nice looking code in xfce4,  pleasure to read and understand.

Regards
Johan.