Packaging xfwm/ce4; WAS Re: How to create a package

Daniel Whitener dwhitener at defeet.com
Mon Jun 2 15:45:24 CEST 2003

IMHO, one package would suffice.  You could do something similar to the way
apache2 is setup... with [default]--enable-module=xffm  or
--disable-module=xffm for those who don't need/want it.  I think having one
"./configure && make && make install"  would be great - plus it would
greatly simplify the install instructions and the current "order of
installation" that we have to go through.  And for folks like Matthew who
don't want to use xffm or xfdesktop, they could simply leave that out of
their .xinitrc.  I don't think a few extra binaries on the system will hurt
anybody - besides, today's OS installs are huge (almost 5 gig for full RH9)
- what's 4 extra unused binaries when you already have 1000 that you don't
know exist?  (Example:  hit <tab><tab> on the console of a redhat 9 box and
you get "Display all 4504 possibilities? (y or n)").

My vote- one package - default install is everything with ./configure
options to disable certain things (xffm).

Great work by all of the developers - thanks for making an excellent desktop!

Daniel