xfce4-panel on Solaris/BrokenWindows: BadAlloc error

Mike Russo miker at readq.com
Tue Jul 29 16:21:01 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 17:27, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

I loaded up xfce4-panel in gdb, but I can't do a backtrace because
xfce4-panel exits. So I set a breakpoint on load_plugin() having nowhere
else to start, and single-stepped through, doing a backtrace right after
the "separator" module loads (the last one that loads sucessfully).
After that, of course, it crashes... is there a better way to get more
info? Or does Xsun just suck royally (actually I already know it does).

from gdb:

Breakpoint 1, 0x169a8 in load_plugin ()
(gdb) n
Single stepping until exit from function load_plugin,
which has no line number information.
** Message: xfce4-panel: module systembuttons successfully loaded
0x16738 in add_plugin_classes ()
(gdb) n
Single stepping until exit from function add_plugin_classes,
which has no line number information.

Breakpoint 1, 0x169a8 in load_plugin ()
(gdb) n
Single stepping until exit from function load_plugin,
which has no line number information.
** Message: xfce4-panel: module pager successfully loaded
0x16738 in add_plugin_classes ()
(gdb) s
Single stepping until exit from function add_plugin_classes,
which has no line number information.

Breakpoint 1, 0x169a8 in load_plugin ()
(gdb) s
Single stepping until exit from function load_plugin,
which has no line number information.
** Message: xfce4-panel: module separator successfully loaded
0x16738 in add_plugin_classes ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x16738 in add_plugin_classes ()
#1  0x1c540 in create_panel ()
#2  0x1be10 in main ()
(gdb) s
Single stepping until exit from function add_plugin_classes,
which has no line number information.
The program 'xfce4-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 204 error_code 11 request_code 131 minor_code 5)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

Program exited with code 01.

Don't worry too much about it, because the xfce3 panel still works
great, and the 4.x panel works with the Xvnc server. Here's my current
config, in case someone else out there on the list has the same setup:

SPARCstation 20 w/ 4MB VSIMM/SX/CG14 framebuffer
Solaris 8 w/ latest recommended patchkit (but older CG14 driver -- the
	newer ones cause Xsun to leak memory at an astounding rate)
running in 24-bit mode
compiled XFce4 with gcc 3.2.2

thanks guys!