Rc3 instead of 4.0

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Fri Jul 25 04:03:23 CEST 2003

El jue, 24-07-2003 a las 08:33, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:
> On 24 Jul 2003 08:10:07 -0500
> edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:
>
> > El jue, 24-07-2003 a las 01:07, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > Since we have been fixing some bugs this week, we don't want to
> > > release rc2 as 4.0, so we will need another release candidate.
> > >
> > > The new roadmap is up on xfce.org. The release will be postponed by
> > > another week.
> > >
> > >  * 27 July : RC3 release
> > >  * 03 August : XFce 4.0 release
> > >
> > > I propose again to have a deadline for changes on Friday.
> >
> > If rc3 is to be identical to 4.0, what need for 4.0? I know that
> > diskspace at xfce.org is free, but we shouldn't abuse.
> >

> Well, all release candidates were meant to become 4.0. However, we keep
> finding bugs that we feel should not be in 4.0. That is what release
> candidates are for, a final check whether we can release it as final.
>
> The question is whether we believe the fixes are so trivial that they
> don't need testing. On IRC, Olivier said he wanted an rc3. I'm fine with
> it either way.
>
> However, IMO, the only changes that should be allowed between a release
> candidate and a final release are changes not directly affecting the
> code, such as translations, documentation and config files. If we don't
> want to follow such a scheme we shouldn't be calling them release
> candidates.

So maybe we should give more time for rc3, instead of freezing up by
Friday (which I believe is tomorrow) to have enough time to get it
right.

Anyways, in my many years of using software, I have noticed that not one
release is bug free. So we should not have enough time between rc3 and
4.0 for significant bugs to be reported ;-)

regards,

Edscott