Feature Request

toth64 at yahoo.com toth64 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 00:17:04 CEST 2003

--- Ric <fhj52ads at yahoo.com> wrote:
> BTW, gnome with sawfish allowed one to enter a
> program for the background. I
> cannot recall at this time if sawfish was required
> or if it was a gnome widget
> and do not know if the gome2 still allows it.  I
> think KDE might allow that
> too BICBW since I never use the K de.  GDM allows it
> too by modifying the
> startup files.  So, it is not a really new idea for
> a widget -> should not be
> as hard to do.

GNOME2 no longer operates like that, and it does so
for two reasons (the same two reasons that xfdesktop
should probably continue working like it does). One,
as previously mentioned, is integration. Xfdesktop
easily integrates into the XFce4 desktop environment
and the settings panel.

The second reason is simplicity and ease of use. It is
very easy to use and very intuitive. You've used chbg
for 3 years, so it's easy enough for you to type a
command into a text box to set the background. I'm
personally familiar with XV's commands for doing so.
Most people on this list are probably familiar with
some command to set the background image. Alot of
people that use XFce (and most new users) however
probably will not. A new user can very easily set the
background image as it stands now, but not so using
your method.

That said, XFce4 is a huge step forward from XFce3
both in usability and looks. XFce4 is beautiful. It
looks clean, simple, and elegant. It also does a good
job in complying with the GNOME HIG and keeping things
simple to use. XFce4 will appeal to a much broader
audience than its predecessor did and I think that
making sure that the environment is easy to use even
for new users is important. As it stands now, XFce4 is
an excellent alternative to the bigger and slower
environments, GNOME and KDE.

Finally, let me take this opportunity to thank the
XFce developers for all the work they put into this
project -- it turned out great!

-Nick Penwarden