xffm & rename -0 addition

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Thu Jul 24 14:55:06 CEST 2003

El jue, 24-07-2003 a las 05:13, Joe Stone escribió:
> hello !
>
> Last week or so, there has been a discussion about the defaultname "new-0" of
> a new created dir in xffm. I have no problem with that.
>
> Today I tried file-renaming with xffm (3.99.1, rc1) the first time.
> When I try to rename (Ctrl-R,..) the name get's an additional "-0".
>
> Is this on purpose?

Yes. It follows the same scheme as the duplicate command.

> (I don't remember a situation, that I needed such a behavior.)

Say you duplicate "file" first, it gets the name file-0. Duplicate it
again, it gets file-1. Next you want to copy a file with the same name
from someplace else, but you don't want to send "file" to the
wastebasket or overwrite it. So you rename it. But to keep things tidy,
xffm will suggest "file-2" so you know that it was the last working
version.

When stuff gets moved to the wastebasket it also gets it's name version
controlled in this manner if there are files which could be overwritten.
Thus if you have a file ..Wastebasket/file and trash "file", the newly
trashed file will be ..Wastebasket/file and the old file turns to
..Wastebasket/file-0.

regards,

Edscott