dillo [was Re: Defaults]

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 00:24:42 CEST 2003

--- edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:
> The problem I see with forking a branch from dillo is that it is gtk12,
> so that quite heavy rewriting is probably necessary to compile it in
> gtk2 disallowing deprecated calls...
>
> regards,
>
> Edscott

I don't know but I bet  Jorge Arellano Cid (jcid[AT] softhome[DOT]net) would
know.  They do have a mailing list, too.
I did a little footwork and on the mailing list found :
[start included post]

 On Sun, Dec 29, Philip Blundell wrote:
> Back in September, Jorge Arellano Cid wrote:
> >   - GTK2 port was discussed a long time ago (BTW it's also listed
> > in  the future goals), and the plan is to incorporate it into CVS
> > when the main distros start to ship GTK2.
> >
> >   -  Some time ago (maybe Pekka IIRC) assembled a GTK2 patch from
> > several  other  efforts, and I thought it'd be good to open a CVS
> > branch for it a CIPSGA, but, as you may have noticed in the front
> > page  of our sites, we've been trying to contact CIPSGA sysadmins
> > for months with Livio!!!
>
> Has there been any further development on this?  I think we are now at
> the point mentioned, in that the main distros seem to be including GTK2
> support for GNOME 2.

Yes, that was also my idea some days ago. If someone knows of an
important dist which does not yet contain Gtk2, please report this.

I've looked at Pekka's patch (the more recent one, with Pango support,
this is interesting for M17n), which does not yet integrate in the
current CVS. There are some more complicated problems with recent
changes, especially with findtext and related, which examine parts of
words. Unfortunately, my knowledge of Pango is currenly zero.

You (and expecially Pekka) will hear from me.

Sebastian

[end included post]

Sebastian is one of the core developers( http://www.dillo.org/D_authors.html
).
So some work has been done already but whatever was done appears to be
stalled. I could be wrong about that but did not find other GTK+-2 info in the
more recent threads.

If it was just being 'purty' I would say skip the gtk2 stuff but the
internationalization is very important, especially for a help browser. So, you
are of course correct -> it has to be GTK+2 and/or has to work with pango.

> El mi? 23-07-2003 a las 05:06, Ric escribió:
> > --- Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote:

> > > I have been seriously thinking of making a help viewer out of a fork of
> > > dillo.
> > >
> > > But as usual, the spirit is willing but the flesh is f*cking lazy.
> > >
> > > -- b
> > >
> > > PS: Well ... I am kinda busy too.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Biju 'botsie' Chacko                        biju_chacko at vsnl dot net
> > > http://www.symonds.net/~botsie          Public Key available on request
> >
> > I had the same idea but do not have any way to do it - or enuf knowledge
> of
> > how.  As soon as I cut loose some time I was going to email those dillo
> folks
> > and hint that they potentially have  best little document browser in *nix.
>
> > Linux needs one.  All the other browsers seem to want to be better than
> the
> > other & include the kitchen sink which makes them completely unsuitble for
> > browsing documentation locally.
> >
> > IceWM has a help browser called icehelp, so I think it is reasonable for
> XFce
> > to have one.  Dillo is much better than icehelp.  If I can help you, I
> will.
> > I'll test it at least - if you get around to it.
> >
> > =====
> > Have A Great Day!
> >
> > Ric
> > ***

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
The price of freedom is responsibility, but it's a bargain, because freedom is priceless.
~ Hugh Downs