Defaults

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Tue Jul 22 22:00:20 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 13:41, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just had a talk (by email) with Eugenia and she raises a few issues
> with our default config.
>
> In a nutshell:
>
> 1) The pager is in both the panel and the taskbar. We shoud avoid
>    duplication.
> => should we keep the pager in the taskbar or in the panel?
>    - we could remove the pager from the pager and keep the graphical
>      pager in the panel
>    - we could keep the pager in the taskbar and use the button desktop
>      switcher in the panel (that would also ease migration from
>      previous xfce versions)
>    - We could remove the pager from the taskbar and keep the graphical
>      pager in the panel

Well, since the first thing I did was remove the taskbar, I'm sort of
biased at this point.  I do have it in the panel, though, so I'd vote
option 3.  Option 2 seems like overkill to me, but I don't run as many
workspaces as others.

> 2) Use "Xfce" theme as default gtk theme. Eugenia seems to like the
>    "Xfce" theme+engine :)
> => Done in CVS.

Query.  Is this the UI Theme or the Window Manager Theme?  Because I am
not a fan of the "xfce" window manager theme (I'm guessing it's a
holdover from Xfce3 days?).

> 3) Strong one: Use the right mouse button to access xfdesktop menu
>    instead of the right button. She insists a lot on this one.
> => I tend to agree with her on this topic (sorry Jasper...)
>    My proposal: Use middle mouse button for task list and right
>    mouse button for menu. Left mouse button does nothing (and can
>    be kept for later use)

I'll agree with this.  But, that's because I have some weird compulsion
to click on the desktop sometimes.  However, Xfce has cured me of that
pretty much.  Otherwise, I keep launching apps randomly.

Just don't remove the cool "scroll wheel=workspace scroll".  In fact,
that would make the scroll wheel[1] totally workspace-oriented in a sort
of nice way.

Just my 4 ha'pennies,
Matt

[1] The middle button for 90% of people now, I bet.
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good