[BUG?]Re: Thanks to...

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 14:48:36 CEST 2003

Hi:
Please allow me to rephrase the thank you to say "Thank you _in Advance_ " to
the gem of a person that goes into the mcs-plugins and fixes whatever it is
that is busting the ability to use the wheel on the mouse device.
That's right, /me dummy here skipped the mcs-plugins and did not have it
built/installed before(oops!).  *The mouse and wheel worked great.*   But as
soon as mcs-plugins was installed (and LO/LI to restart X), the mouse wheel
died - it no longer works in any of the aps that it had worked in with RC2
just a few minutes before.

I am just guessing, but could it be that the mouse_plugins.c file assumes
there are only five buttons, including the wheel button and that is somehow
causing the problem?

As a work-around, is there a way to successfully build/install/use mcs-plugins
_without_ the mouse plugin since that is probably what is killing the wheel?
You know, an option to configure like "--without-mouse" . (./configure -- help
was no help on that)

TIA

FYI:
The mouse is a (Belkin) 4 button + wheel mouse = 7 buttons by "X" standards(
xmodmap is 1 2 3 6 7 4 5 ). The 4 buttons work and the mouse wheel button
works but the wheel rotate + and -  do not.  Those two +/- "buttons" do not
change position on the page, move scrollbars, etc.   However, I have noticed
that the sensitivity of the wheel button is way too high - barely touch the
wheel and I get the same same effect as double clicking with button one(it
highlight the word under the cursor)... sometimes.  It does the same thing
whether the wheel rotates up or down.  Sometimes the effect is a
'triple-click'.

========================
--- Ric <fhj52ads at yahoo.com> wrote:
> all - anybody- whoever changed whatever was keeping the mouse wheel
>  from 'just' working in XFce4 on some systems.
> It works just great now!
>
> ( It's kinda funny - some years back I never used the wheel -did not like
> it; got in the way most of the time. But after using it for a long time, it
> got to be habit.  Now I really miss it if it is not there. THNX )
>
> =====
> Have A Great Day!
>
> Ric
> ***

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
The price of freedom is responsibility, but it's a bargain, because freedom is priceless.
~ Hugh Downs