XFCE4 on FreeBSD - no problem

Mike Makonnen mtm at identd.net
Tue Jul 22 14:29:12 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 02:56:16PM -0500, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> El lun, 02-06-2003 a las 11:14, James Earl escribi?:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I decided I'd give the xfce4 snapshot a try last night for the first time.  It
> > compiled and ran without any problems.  The only undesirable thing I noticed
> > was that the .pc files were installed into {PREFIX}/lib/pkgconfig rather than
> > {PREFIX}/libdata/pkgconfig. (Can this be set at configure time?)
>
> The internationalization is not working on FreeBSD, although it does
> work for xfce3. No clue as to why.

I think I figured this out. The problem is that configure can't find
libintl.h (which is installed in /usr/local/include as part of ports).
So, it doesn't enable nls or gettext support. There may be other things
it doesn't find and compilation tests that fail, but that's the gist
of it. So, I did a grep through all the config.h and changed
certain #undef to #defined:
#define ENABLE_NLS 1
#define HAVE_BIND_TEXTDOMAIN_CODESET 1
#define HAVE_DCGETTEXT 1

I then recompiled and reinstalled, and internationalization works
fine now on my FreeBSD machine.

I know that internationalization works for all the other programs
I installed through ports. I think what's happening is that the
ports system does something to get ./configure to recognize
internationalization support. Obviously, this doesn't get done if
you have been building and installing Xfce4 manually, like me.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm at identd.net | D228 1A6F C64E 120A A1C9  A3AA DAE1 E2AF DBCC 68B9