xffm: default name for new dirs

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Fri Jul 18 16:21:29 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 03:59, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> if I want to make a new directory in xffm I have to delete first the
> default name "Neu-0" and enter a new name. Ctrl-u does not work and
> pre-selection is no good solution, we had this in a previous discussion.

Preselection is gone. And, as in mozilla, it's done with Ctrl-backspace.
Ctrl-u is reserved for unselect, as specified in the docs, which reminds
me, Ctrl-backspace is not in the docs or tips. I hope somebody can put
it in. I'm sorry I don't have time right now.

> But why this default name. Nobody names a new directory "Neu-0" so you
> have to delete this *every* time. This makes no sense in my opinion. Why
> not just a empty text field in which the user can insert the name he
> wants. This would be the most user-friendly solution in my opinion.

It's not only New-0. If New-0 exists, it will go on to New-1 and so
forth. Why "New"? To follow the xftree tradition.

BTW, I use the default names for temporary directory creation, so by
reduction to contradiction,  "Nobody names a new directory 'Neu-0'" is
mathematically false.

> If the user enters nothing, then just nothing is created (at the moment
> xffm wants to delete something, this is a *bug* in my opinion). What do
> the others think?

Nope, you got it wrong. Xffm will not delete anything. The "New" is
version controlled, using the numbering scheme which follows from
xftree.

regards,

Edscott