Deadline rc2

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Fri Jul 18 10:57:54 CEST 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:04:31 +0200
Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at moongroup.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just a little reminder that today is the last day you can make changes
> to your code, before we release rc2. Since rc2 is expected to become
> 4.0_unaltered_ (well, except version numbers ;), this is also your
> last chance to get something into XFce 4.0 final.
>
> Personally, I want to have a final look at the default panel
> configuration. I'm not good at this, so if you have suggestions about
> how it should look or what programs should certainly be in there,
> please let me know as soon as possible.

Hmm, it is probably not worth it, but I just thought of something to
prevent old API plugins from being loaded and then crash the panel.

The problem is that the new API has changed the prototype of one
function, but it doesn't change the symbol name. The API version is
increased, but this is automatically picked up by the plugin when
recompiling (I'll need to think about that after 4.0, it is too
automatic now). Since the symbol name did not change the old API plugin
compiles without error.

Now, the 'solution' is to rename that symbol which will make compiling
or at least loading the old module fail, thus preventing a crash.

All modules would need to be updated again though (well a simple search
and replace will do the trick).

I didn't think there would be any more third-party plugins, but that
mail yesterday proved me wrong. So, what do you think, is it worth the
trouble?