Breaking API, increasing SONAME

Martin Loschwitz madkiss at madkiss.org
Wed Jul 16 17:45:58 CEST 2003

Apparently, somebody has changed the API of libxfce4gui *again* without
increasing the SONAME of the library.

Folks, this can not go on this way. If one changes the API of a library
and breaks the API compability with that step, then the SONAME needs to
be increased. This is nothing we have to decide, it has been that way
since I sat for the very first time in front of a computer.

If we don't increase the SONAME after changing the API, user's systems
will be broken horribly sooner or later. With not doing SONAME increases,
we clearly classify us as "amateur project" which is not trustworthy.

I hereby appeal to the people who are involved in code creation to higher
the SONAME everytime they break API compability - to make packagers' and
users' lifes easier.

--
  .''`.   Martin Loschwitz           Debian GNU/Linux developer
 : :'  :  madkiss at madkiss.org        madkiss at debian.org
 `. `'`   http://www.madkiss.org/    people.debian.org/~madkiss/
   `-     Use Debian GNU/Linux 3.0!  See http://www.debian.org/