Roadmap outdated

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 21:30:03 CEST 2003

Hey:
--- Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at moongroup.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Yesterday on IRC someone asked if 4.0 had been released already, since
> it said so on the web site.
>
> How about this for an updated roadmap:
>
> 18 July: deadline for rc2 changes
> 20 July: rc2 release
> 27 July: 4.0
>
> 	Jasper

While you are doing that, about extending the roadmap to the end of the year
and not tying yourselves to a specific day, except for RC cycle, until you
have better information:

 18 July:        deadline for rc2 changes
 20 July:        rc2 release
 August:        4.0
 September:  4.0.x(bugfixes)
 October:       4.1
 November:   4.1.x(bugfixes)
 December:   4.2 (Merry Christmas)

or something like that...
Maybe "week of" would work too? e.g.,  ' Week of August 4:    4.0.0 '.
The ".x" allows multiple bugfix releases if they are desired/needed and sticks
the "release early, release often" philosophy without too much stress.:)

You could add
"ANNOUNCEMENT: RELEASE 4.x.x ON <DAY> <MONTH>
when you know positively what actually can be done to the "Roadmap". If you
put it there once, it can be updated for each release...

If there must be a specific day published in advance, how about adding:

" All scheduled dates are +/- 3 days. "

below the "Roadmap" in bold print.  That will at least give you a window in
case things do not work as planned which, as you know, they rarely do.  It
will also provide you an opportunity to cut the release ahead of schedule
if/when needed without busting the Roadmap.

I don't know about everybody else but I am quite interested in knowing when
4.1 and 4.2 are scheduled since, among other reasons, one or the other will
mandate that I have at least GTK+-2.2 installed properly on my systems.  The
current "Roadmap" should provide at least that much information, IMO.

...just $0.25 (inflation) from an avid supporter.

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
Do not take yourself too seriously.  Nobody else does. ;)