bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha!

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Sun Jul 13 06:09:24 CEST 2003

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:53:13 +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> I agree with most of the above. Just one thing to correct: The _best_
> OSS projects are driven by a "core team", not by a single human, who
> decides everything. Thats what makes them the _best_. The chance for a
> group of 3-6 people to be wrong on a point is much less than the
> chance for a single person to be wrong. For example, thats one of the
> most notable problem with the Linux kernel.
>
> Don't get me wrong. During the time I've been with XFce, Olivier was
> nearly always right in his decisions, and if he wasn't, we simply
> accepted his decision, because we know he's the leader and he's the
> one that founded this project, and so we respect his decision. But
> this is a point to think about, since e.g. Linux is a very popular
> example that suffers from this kind of leadership.

I disagree. Committees will get you just so far. Most groups of this
kind have someone who has a casting vote because, at some point,
eventually a decision must be taken. Overall, that is how we work.

Call Olivier 'Team Leader', 'Benevolent Dictator' or 'Chappie with the
casting vote'; it comes done to the same thing.

I, for one, prefer it this way.

-- b