xfce4mixer broken. rc1 delayed

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Jul 12 14:06:00 CEST 2003

Hi,

My answer was quick, fairly busy and did not want to go to long
explanations.

>From a user standpoint, yes, why not everybody isn't using gtk+-2.2 btw?

But when you go to corporate desktops, well, it's a totally different
story. Users don't choose the distro, they don't have root access, they
can't install what they want.

Upgrading gtk+-2.0 to gtk+-2.2 on a Red Hat 8.0 that uses GNOME-2.0
requires to upgrade GNOME too, because gnomle libs from 2.0 had a bug
and upgrading gtk will cause all gnome apps to core straight away.

For all these reasons, it's mandatory that xfce is gtk+-2.0 compatible.
Of course, some functionalities work better with gtk+-2.2 (like startup
notification), but that won't prevent xfce from running of gtk+-2.0

That said, the plugin doesn't need to be rewritten, just fixed, that's
it. And it's already done here.

Cheers,
Olivier.

--