Remaining tasks before a release

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed Jul 9 13:42:32 CEST 2003

Perhaps it would good idea if all developers could give an estimate of
how much time they need to be able to do a release.

Panel
=====
I have just finished doing my final code changes and believe that the
panel is ready as it is now. There is one more task remaining:

* update screenshots for documentation.

I can do that this afternoon. That means that as far as I'm concerned
the panel will be ready for release tomorow.

Aah, I'm just thinking, there is one thing that may need to be done
still and that is look at the default panel configuration. I would be
grateful if a someone else, perhaps a member of the release team, could
have a look as well.

Criteria for what makes a good default include:
* familiar for xfce3 users
* showing panel capabilities
* frequently used programs
* access to other XFce 4 functionality

This shouldn't take more than one day extra, so any release date from
Friday onwards should be fine for the panel.

Other modules
=============
There is one thing I still want to do, and I can do that this afternoon:

* move iconbox to extras. I also want to get rid of the 'xfibx' text
  in the GUI, but I will only do that if it won't affect translations (I
  think 'Iconbox' is already in the code, so I can probably use that).

I don't know of any other work that needs to be done on the other
modules. Most important are xfwm4 and xffm, probably. So, Edscott,
Olivier can you give your estimates of the work required to make a
release for them?

We probably should also have a close look at the credits in xfce4-about
to make sure it is as up-to-date as we can get it.

On a related note, I feel last-minute updates for docs or credits should
be allowed between a release candidate and the final release.

More tasks

* release notes. Look at the wiki
(http://www.symonds.net/~botsie/xfce/index.php/Release%20Notes). Needs
perhaps some extra info about changes in xfwm4. Seems alright otherwise.
Does it include all modules we want to release?

If we have all estimates about the time needed we can make a new release
schedule, since it seems impossible to do a final release on July 15.

Let's not lose the development momentum by delaying a release too long.
New ideas and even programs are popping up all over the place.

	Jasper