xfce4-session: some observations (0.0.17)

Matti Rendahl matti at comedialabs.com
Sun Jul 6 20:30:43 CEST 2003

Hi,

sure is nice to get a session manager!

I have some observations:

1) When quiting I think it would be useful to be able not to save
   the current setup even if I have choosen "Automatically save
   session on logout" in settings. Couldn't the setting
   "Automatically..." just control if the checkbox is checked or
   not on the quit dialog?

2) I noticed with evolution 1.4 that if I don't quit evolution manually
   my changes - read/deleted messages - will not be saved. I don't know
   if this is an evolution bug, or xcfce4-sm that should tell the
   clients to terminate in some other way?

3) Is the order the session is restarted "random"?. I noticed this as I
   launch xmms from gkrellm. Every now and then xmms will be started
   before gkrellm, and then I will have an open xmms on my desktop.
   Normally gkrellm will start and hide it. This is of course ok, as
   xmms will register when started from gkrellm and for the sm look like
   any other  application. (I don't know how gkrellm does to hide
   xmms from the system, it will not even show up in the taskbar
   or iconbox. Actually, I just checked the sessions/xfwm4-* file,
   xmms is not in that either. Suppose gkrellm is doing lot of
   strange stuff.) The difference is that if xfce4-sm started
   apps in the same order as they where started xmms would not be
   visible on the screen. (I'm trying to figure out some other case
   where the startup order would matter, but can't. So this is probably
   a non-issue :-) But anyway, should one expect xfce4-sm to restart
   applications in some specific order?

--matti

PS the .xfce4/sessions/xfwm4-* file, what is that used for?