xfce4-session

Luis Miguel Garcia ktech at wanadoo.es
Sun Jul 6 12:23:15 CEST 2003

On dom, 2003-07-06 at 12:17, Ric wrote:
> Hi:
>
> --- Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 05, Jul 2003, Ric wrote:
> >
> > Ric,
> >
> > > I got lucky and the first thing I tried (after my
> > little
> > > break) worked:
> > >  * remove the previously(0.11) saved xfsm-<hostname>
> > > session file *
> >
> <SNIP> > everything,
> > > including xfce4-session, is running except the taskbar.
> >
> > Grab the latest xfce-utils (and xfce4-iconbox if you use
> > it) from CVS,
> > its now available with AnonCVS.
>
> OK, thanks.
>

> > > I ran a few other tests and it looks like SM is working
> > as
> > > much as it is supposed to be: some aps start exactly
> > where
> > > they were(gkrellm, gnome-terminal, kpackage,...)
> > Yeah!!!
> > > [ and others do not start at all(xterm ,aterm, gps,...)
> > ]
> > > More about that later...
> >
> > The session manager can only handle session-aware apps
> > (only X11R6
> > session aware apps to be exact). I'm working on getting
> > gnome-smproxy
> > or smproxy to work, but for now using smproxy to connect
> > X11R5 apps does not work.
>
> Yes, I read that somewhere before. That's too bad...  Umm,
> i'm thinking a list might be a good thing - 'these work'
> with xfce4-session and 'these don't' just so people will
> know and so that, if there is any chance of this getting
> into 4.0(and I hope it does) people will know that it is
> not broken(fewer bug reports).
> That would be a great way to use a wiki if someone here has
> one running(or can start one) because anybody can edit the
> page(s) to modify the lists.  IOW, there have been several
> posts already about this running and that not running with
> xfce4-session but it is not centralized, except being
> 'somewhere' in the archives. I am not sure if it will help
> you or not...

	I think it's too difficult to make an archive of apps that are sm-aware
or not. Perhaps a few examples and saying all of gnome apps are, could
be, but think the hundreds of apps out there... there are literally
hundreds... so one advice that it could work but i couldn't work is
enought, with the mentioned examples, I think.