xfce4-session

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 05:56:19 CEST 2003

Good Morning Benedikt:

Thank you for the reply- I appreciate the effort to assist.
Awake yet?

--- Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
wrote:
> On Sat, 05, Jul 2003, Ric wrote:
>
> > Hi Benedikt:
>
> Hey Ric,
>
> > xfce4_session-shutdown.o: In function `shutdownDialog':

/.../XFCE4/targz/TEST/xfce4-session-0.0.15/xfce4-session/shutdown.c:153:
> > undefined reference to `gdk_screen_get_default'

/.../XFCE4/targz/TEST/xfce4-session-0.0.15/xfce4-session/shutdown.c:153:
> > undefined reference to `gtk_invisible_new_for_screen'
>
> I'll make it work with Gtk+ 2.0.x soon.

Thanks.
Are y'all planning on switching to GTK+ 2.2.x real soon (
as in for 4.2 )?

> > The first thing was to simply, as you suggested,
<SNIP>

> > ...  I did
> > create a  ~/.xfce4/xinitrc  and put only "
> xfce4-session "
> > in it with hopes that would resolve the problem; nope

<SNIP>
> > I'm still working on it but Please enlighten me...
> >
> Ok, using xfce4-session with startxfce4 is very easy:
> Just create a
> file ~/.xfce4/xinitrc (and don't forget to chmod +x it)
> with the following content:
>
> -----------------
> #!/bin/sh
> xfce4-session
> -----------------
>
> That should do the work. Do not launch any SM aware apps
> _before_
> xfce4-session, but let xfce4-session do the work.
>
> For an example, see my ~/.xfce4/xinitrc here:
>
> http://echobase.homeunix.net/~bmeurer/tmp/xinitrc
>
> HTH,
> Benedikt

:)
That was one of the iterations that does not work (See
between the <SNIP>s). I also tried
xfce4-session &
in the file - nogo there either. I did try it again and
made sure the file was executable. Got the same result:
At the KDM login screen, the Splash Screen pops-up. I think
that is okay - Gnome does that too(odd, but okay).
Splash says loading gkrellm , then loading kpackage, then
panel and then it disappears.
It is followed by gkrellm and the a nice popup that tells
me xfwm4 is NOT running( "Your window manager does not seem
to support the new window manager hints..." ). The close
button does work w/ the mouse.
I closed the info-popup and the panel appeared.
The background does not change(BG mgr does not load).
The windows are borderless(xfwm4 is _really_ not running :)
)
and so forth.

That experience is the same as previously which is why I
sent the email - something, somewhere on this system does
not match what xfce4-session expects.

At the moment, I am thinking several things:
(1) need to delete the pre-existing xfsm-<hostname> file
(2)~/.xfwmrc because it does not exist here but you prbly
have it
or
(3) path
The path on this system, does NOT include .../local/...
_except_ for
/usr/local/bin  (which is only there for some scripts I
wrote).
Actually, there is another ->(3) KDM.

My ~/.xfce4/xinitrc is
#!/bin/sh
#
## xinitrc file for XFce4 called by startxfce4 script
## used to start the session manager

/usr/local/bin/xfce4-session

###EOF

Based on your reply, xfce4-session is supposed to start
every-XFce4-thing that is the /etc/xfce4/xinitrc  file:
xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xftaskbar4&
xfdesktop&
xfce4-panel

Well, for sure, xfwm and xfdesktop do not. xftaskbar does
not either but that may be because of the libxfce4util at
3.92 but xfce-util is 3.91.
Please post the xfce-utils-3.92 -if- that is why taskbar
won't run.
I do have this error trying to run it at CLI:
#> xftaskbar4
  xftaskbar4: relocation error: xftaskbar4: undefined
symbol:  netk_gtk_window_set_dock_type

I will try some other things for the SM...

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***