xfce4-session

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 22:15:31 CEST 2003

Hi Benedikt:

Luv those screenshots - can hardly wait.
However, it will not make as it is:

xfce4_session-shutdown.o: In function `shutdownDialog':
/.../XFCE4/targz/TEST/xfce4-session-0.0.15/xfce4-session/shutdown.c:153:
undefined reference to `gdk_screen_get_default'
/.../XFCE4/targz/TEST/xfce4-session-0.0.15/xfce4-session/shutdown.c:153:
undefined reference to `gtk_invisible_new_for_screen'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [xfce4-session] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/.../XFCE4/targz/TEST/xfce4-session-0.0.15/xfce4-session'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/.../XFCE4/targz/TEST/xfce4-session-0.0.15'
make: *** [all] Error 2
===============

That's the shutdown.c
	/* Try to grab Input on a hidden window first */
for loop.

I'm using GTK+-2.0.6 on MDK 9.0 XFce4 Beta2(with XFce4
libxfce gui & util at 3.92 of course) and gcc 3.2 here.
******
*more*
I commented out the entire loop and it did make (+
checkinstall worked too).
However, there is another problem here. It just won't run
at startup. I always get the default XFce4-Beta2. If I
"Exit" XFce4 beta2, it does not logout, instead
xfce4-session starts and loads gkrellm and kpackage(on
current workspace, tho) but nothing else.

Also, with 0.15, the taskbar does not start(it did in
previous SM builds). However, that may be because
libxfce4util was upgraded but  xfce-utils  was not ... (is
it possible to get the xfce-utils 3.92 targz to see if that
will fix the problem for the taskbar?)

It's (partially) a config error here, ithink, due to this
previously posted instruction:

     ...then edit your .xsession/.xinitrc script to launch
        xfce4-session instead of startxfce4. ...

The problem is that  startxfce4  (from my comments in the
startxfce4 file):
## normally, this file does three things:
## (1) creates a home for xfce4 _IF_ it does not already
exist
## (2) Starts an X server _IF_ it is not running and echoes
that info
##     THEN:
##     calls either ~/.xfce4/xinitrc or /etc/xfce4/xinitrc
with xinit
##     to get XFce4 running with all the bangs and whistles
## (3) Does not start a X server _IF_ it is running and
echoes that info
##     THEN:
##     calls either ~/.xfce4/xinitrc or /etc/xfce4/xinitrc
with exec
##     to get XFce4 running with all the bangs and whistles
##
## and that's all folks...

As you can see, ` replacing startxfce4 with xfce4-session '
will not work because " startxfce4 " is not in xinitrc. I
have tried a number of different ways to get it going
_properly_ but have failed ... :(

The first thing was to simply, as you suggested, replace
the startxfce4 call with xfce4-session but no-go.  That's
in /etc/X11/wmsession.d/xfce4 file, ICYDK. It did not work.
There were no xinitrc files on this system that are used by
XFce4 except for  /etc/xfce4/xinitrc.  There are _no_
xinitrc files that have a  startxfce4  in them.  I did
create a  ~/.xfce4/xinitrc  and put only " xfce4-session "
in it with hopes that would resolve the problem; nope :(
BTW, putting xfce4-session at the bottom of
/etc/xfce4/xinitrc does not work either; I won't list all
the different iterations I have tried...
Basically, I do not know (cannot find) what must be running
_before_ xfce4-session is called.

I'm still working on it but Please enlighten me...

--- Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I'd like to annouce xfce4-session 0.0.15. The usual
> bugfixes and a few
> improvements to the dialogs. You need the latest
> libxfcegui4 to
> compile it, its available in the same location:
>
> http://echobase.homeunix.net/~bmeurer/tmp/xfce4-session/
>
> Have a nice day...
>
> Benedikt
>
> --