Funkiness with mozilla & beta 2

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Jul 5 20:49:01 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 13:27, Net Llama! wrote:

> > With all the fsck'ing GNOME dependencies it's a real pain in the @$$.
> > Maybe I'll get 1.4 and just run it from my home dir.
> >
> > 	I REALLY wish that packages weren't so complicatedly intertwined in
> > Linux anymore.  For example, I really like Evolution but to go through
> > the agony of trying to upgrade it (and all the things it needs and all
> > the things that break when you do) isn't worth it.
>
> No part of Mozilla is dependent on Gnome.  Perhaps Redhat's RPMs are,
> but that's neither here nor there.

	I know that.  I never said that mozilla was in any way dependent on
GNOME but that parts of GNOME are dependent on specific mozilla builds.

	I'm saying that GNOME and parts of it depend on mozilla.  Yes, it's the
way RH (and other distros as well) have configured things.  Yes it's a
tad annoying.  But the benefits of running a mostly stock (with updates)
redhat release outweigh the annoyances 90% of the time.  The guts of it
are good, as with any distro, but the UI options of GNOME and KDE suck
particularly because of the intertwining and overlapping of things.  The
one thing I'll miss from xfce3 is that the whole thing was one big
package.  I do like what xfc4 is doing and it really beats the hell out
of the other options.  But that doesn't mean I still miss the simpler
ways.

--
Paradise; can it be all I heard it was?
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there.