xfce4 problems with Launcher command

Brett I. Holcomb brettholcomb at charter.net
Sat Jul 5 18:12:43 CEST 2003

Sorry, this got sent to the poster instead of the list.

> > On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:02:02 -0400
> >
> > "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb at charter.net> wrote:
> > > 1.  With xfce 3 I use the command line
> >
> > XFce3 uses /bin/sh to run the command, xfce4 executes it directly, so it
> > doesn't expand '~'.

 Okay.  Why the change - I'm just curious.

> > > 2.  Once I got the program started under xfce 4 the keyboard doesn't
> > > work.   With xfce 3 the game starts in console mode.  I hit the ~ key
> > > to get rid of the console and expose the menus.  In xfce 4 this does
> > > not work.  I have to kill the program.
> > >
> > > Am I missing something or is this broken?
> >
> > I have no idea why this would happen. You could try using this instead:
> >   /bin/sh -c "<commandline>"

 Nope, didn't help things.  What is strange is that with xfce3 I can start
 and run the program without problems.  However, xfce4 has problems not only
 with using ~ (for the reason explained above) but it causes problems once
 it starts.  I am now sometimes able to use the ~ key to get rid of the
 console screen in HL.  Under xfce3 this would show the menu, however in
 xfce4 I just get a black screen with nothing so I have to restart X.   The
 only message I see is this one.  Does it mean anything?

 xfwm4 unmanged net_wm_state

 Thanks.

--

Brett I. Holcomb