XFce4 session manager

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Jul 1 20:21:21 CEST 2003

Hello everybody,

As some of you might have already noticed, I'm working on a session
manager for XFce. Today I finished the work on the basic session
management part, and its now able to save sessions on logout and
restore them on the next login. It *should* also work well with broken
SM aware apps (I would consider the current SM aware xfce apps to be
broken, and I'm working on it, but thats for xfce 4.2).

Everybody is invited to test the session manager. I'll always put the
latest working version online here:

	http://echobase.homeunix.net/~bmeurer/tmp/xfce4-session/

At the time of this writing its:

	xfce4-session-0.0.3.tar.gz

Usage is simple: Install as usual (untar, configure, make, make
install), then edit your .xsession/.xinitrc script to launch
xfce4-session instead of startxfce4. xfce4-session will then bring up
the previous saved session or if no session was saved, bring up a
default xfce4 session.

For the ones interested: xfce4-session stores the sessions in
~/.xfce4/sessions/session-*. The file format is described in
doc/SessionFileFormat.txt (I might switch to XML at a later time, but
for now, its easier to store stuff in binary format).

Have a nice day...

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/