xfdesktop startup time

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed Jan 29 10:01:23 CET 2003

Hi all,

I've just committed a change in xfdesktop that reduces the startup time of
xfdesktop by 2 or 3 times.

Jasper, the trick is that when opening a channel, all settings are sent one
after the other with MCS_SETTING_ADD. At startup, it means that a first setting
will come specifying the image = a computation of the backdrop image, then
another settings tells that the image should be centered/scaled/tile = another
computation and then another settings tell the background color = yet another
computation. So at least, it causes 3 computation at startup

Now, I've added a flag that tells if mcs channel is initting and doesn't load
the settings, but waits once its over and then, afterwards, loads all settings
at once. Thus only 1 computation.

While this doesn't make much difference when settings set int/char values, it
can make a big difference when the settings implies the computation of a screen
wide image... That's why I tell the startup time is devided by 2 or 3 times now
:) And indeed, the test show I'm right.

FYI, it's a technique that I used in xfwm4.

Cheers,
Olivier.
--
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.
Designed for productivity,  it loads  and  executes  applications fast,