Menus

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Jan 28 09:51:55 CET 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:03:28 +0530
Biju Chacko <botsie at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> At least one person on the list (Collins Richey?) wanted to access the
> menu from the panel. With a menu popup and the panel clock put on the
> taskbar, we could emulate the windows/kde/gnome/icewm look. (ewwww ...
> yuck :-) ). For that matter, if we could switch off the panel popups,
> vertical mode would give us a reasonable facsimile of WindowMaker.

Your right, a menu plugin should be able to use it. I'm still not sure
if you need a 'master' library though. Menu handling would mostly be gtk
stuff anyway. Well, this is implementation details. Not important now.

Window maker mode would benefit from a dockapp plugin as well ... any
volunteers? :)

> The basic point is that *we* really shouldn't be deciding how the end
> users use XFce. We ought to give them tools to configure it to their
> greatest comfort.

Well, that's not entirely true. We have to make decisions for them
about how the software works. Trying to please everyone, you will end
up pleasing noone. Having good defaults beats having many options any
time.

> In short, we should be able to put the menu on the panel and taskbar.
> Those who like it can use it, those who don't can disable it.

Taskbar no, panel yes.

> > Nice, but perhaps unnecessarily complex. I think having the plugins
> > only provide a get_menu() function and have a separate menu editing
> > app will be a lot easier to implement.
>
> Perhaps. Personally, I dislike menu editing apps. Makes menu editing a
> seperate task. when it usually is a sub-ytask of some other job you
> are doing.

Well, the idea is that you're not constantly editing menus (or
shouldn't be anyway :). It's not functionality that needs to be
available all the time. So if it makes the code more difficult it's one
of the first things to throw out.

	Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.freenode.net