Packages updates and i18n

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Thu Jan 23 16:43:37 CET 2003

ok, here's what I did until now:

* run 'glib-gettextize'

* add the following to configure.ac:

GETTEXT_PACKAGE=xfce4-panel
AC_SUBST(GETTEXT_PACKAGE)
AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(GETTEXT_PACKAGE,"$GETTEXT_PACKAGE",[Name of default
gettext domain])

ALL_LINGUAS="nl"
AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT

* and add po/Makefile.in to AC_OUTPUT().

* add po to the subdirs in Makefile.am

* make a new header my_gettext.h to which I copied the
/usr/share/gettext/gettext.h header and added definitions for _() and
N_(). I then added it to global.h, so all relevant files include it.

* add this to main() before gtk_init():

#ifdef ENABLE_NLS
    bindtextdomain (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, LOCALEDIR);
    bind_textdomain_codeset (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8");
    textdomain (GETTEXT_PACKAGE);
#endif

    gtk_set_locale ();

* run ./autogen.sh

* in the po/ directory run 'make xfce4-panel.pot' to create the pot
file. And copy that to nl.po and make some translations.

* Now running a normal 'make && make install" creates a translated
xfce4-panel.

Somehow not all translated strings get replaced, so I presume I'm not
including config.h and my_gettext.h correctly everywhere.

Anything else I should have done?

	Jasper

On 23 Jan 2003 09:18:38 -0600
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:

> Hi Olivier,
>
>   Could you remind us the magic words to write at the prompt that will
> generate the initial .po and later on the .gmo files?
>
> saludos,
>
> Edscott
>
> El mié, 22-01-2003 a las 17:04, Olivier Fourdan escribió:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've updated the following packages :
> >
> > - libxfcegui4 :
> >   * added a new convenient function "small_label(const gchar *)"
> >   that
> >     creates a GtkWidget (GtkLabel) with markups
> >   * libxfegui4 is now version 0.0.14
> > - xfce-mcs-manager:
> >   * Update autogen.sh script
> >   * Added i18n support
> >   * Added french localization
> >   * Make use of libxfcegui4 v .14
> > - xfwm4
> >   * Update autogen.sh script
> >   * Added i18n support
> >   * Added french localization
> >   * Make use of libxfcegui4 v .14
> >
> > So, it means that you can now starts to translate the potfiles for
> > both xfwm4 and xfce-mcs-manager packages...
> >
> > Please *please* use UTF-8 encoding (e.g. use gedit2 or emacs in utf8
> > mode) - You can take fr.po as an example.
> >
> > Send me the localized potfiles and I'll add them to CVS (or you can
> > do it if you have CVS access, but don't forget to update
> > configure.in ALL_LINGUAS section and rerun autogen.sh)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
> > http://www.xfce.org