New xfwm4

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 23 12:45:53 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:16:43PM +0100, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Hehehe, well, I tried to warn you :)
>
> Xfce has its own settings mechanism now, and using ROX Session with it
> might cause trouble... The messages you see in the log are because there
> is already an xsetting manager running (ROX Session in this case) and
> xfce-mcs-manager doesn't enable its own standard xsettings manager.
> Thus, all standards xsettings aren't managed by xfce-mcs-manager and it
> display a warning when its plugins try to access std xsettings... (Not
> sure I make myself clear here :)

Yes, I understand what it's trying to do, I just want to turn it off ;-)
I'd like to have xfwm4 using mcs for its own stuff, but let ROX-Session
handle XSettings (ie, have running xfwm4 ONLY do window manager things).
I guess anyone wanting to run xfwm4 in GNOME, etc, would have the same
problem.

Of course, once new-conf is implemented we can share the settings and the
user can configure things from either, but that's quite a way off :-(

> As for the panel not being sticky, what property does it use ?

Looks like this was actually caused by the upgrade to GTK+-2.2 (it
helpfully unsets the _NET_WM_DESKTOP property for you... nice).

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk		tal197 at users.sourceforge.net