FAM (and xffm)

James Tappin james at tappin.me.uk
Sat Feb 15 22:19:20 CET 2003

On 15 Feb 2003 01:13:58 +0100
Jens Luedicke <jens at irs-net.com> wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> I thought about using FAM for xffm, and started to write some
> demo code to get into FAM.
>
> Its fairly easy to monitor file changes.
>
> The attached file monitors my homedir (/home/jens) and looks for
> changed, created and deleted files.
>
> It can be compiled with:
>
> $ LDFLAGS=-lfam make fam
>
> ./fam
>
> If its ok, and wanted, I will dig myself into the xffm
> code to look for possible uses.

I'm going to borrow Joe Klemmer's favourite line here: I'm against it.

I use XFCE on slow boxes and KDE on fast ones. KDE uses FAM and in 3.0.x
there was a serious problem that meant that an automounted nfs disk was
never unmounted  as FAM kept accessing it. While this has been fixed in
3.1 it seems to be at the expense of the filemanager not updating file
sizes (a la 2.x). I don't know if this is a limitation of FAM but it needs
to be bourne in mind.

James.

P.S. Jens -- I haven't had a chance to look at your alternative version of
opening directories in xfrun - hopefully tomorrow.

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james at tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering