xfwm4 patch to support 20 shotcuts [WAS: Re: multimedia keys]

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed Apr 30 23:26:19 CEST 2003

Hi Toby,

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 16:09, Tobias Henle wrote:
> shortcut_6_key=+LMute
> shortcut_6_exec=/home/tobias/bin/shortcut/shortcut.sh mute

I've modified the parsing of keyboard shortcuts so that the use "+" is
not required when there is no modifier.

So now you can use  hortcut_6_key=LMute

> but now i have had a nother problem. i have 12 mmkeys and only 10 shortcuts are
> available. i changet it in the xfce4 code up to 20. olivier i hope you are not
> angry about this ,) i am not shure but is it very hard to make the number of
> shortcuts unlimited?

Right now, yes, it doesn't fit in the parser design. Building a list of
user defined shortcuts is easy, defining a syntax is easy (something
like add_kbd_shortcut=Alt+F2:xfrun) but that doesn't fit well in the
parser and its finite key=value design. So that would require either
ugly hacks in the existing code, or rewriting a more flexible parser,
which won't be done right now (feature freeze, no real urgent need).

> olivier: the diffs are attached to this mail if you want you can add them to cvs.

Well, I won't. The kbd shortcuts in xfwm4 are not "general purpose" kbd
shortcuts, it's simply a convenient way to implement the few "standard"
keyboard shortcuts like Alt+F1, Alt+F2 and Ctrl+Alt+Del to lock the
screen. The number of shortcuts should be kept as small as possible.

There are plenty of third party applications that let you define/add
other shortcuts, some with nice GTK gui.

But I don't think it's the job of the window manager to do that
(otherwise there would a much nicer way of adding keyboard shortcuts,
with a gui and stuff like that - It would not be managed by keythemes as
it is right now). Let's keep things simple, and don't mix all
functionnalities in the window manager.

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org