System tray implementation

Danny danny.milo at gmx.net
Sat Apr 19 19:08:24 CEST 2003

Hi!

Am Sam, 2003-04-19 um 18.56 schrieb Olivier Fourdan:
> Hi Benny,
>
> On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 16:10, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> > I had a quick talk with Jasper about it, and we've agreed to put it into
> > libxfcegui4. The GUI frontend to the system tray will be put into the
> > taskbar. In addition the taskbar should be changed to be able to use plugins
> > instead of hardcoding all this stuff into the code.
>
> That's fine with me.
>
> > Furtheron, in order to get support for the "old" KDE system tray protocol
> > we would need to have the window manager act as a kind of "proxy" between
> > the application providing the system tray icon and the XfceSystemTray.
> > See the description:
> >
> > 	http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch/protocols-docking.html
>
> That's really not a specification! It doesn't tell anything about what
> the WM is supposed to do once it receives the property change....
>
> > So, Olivier, what do you think: Should xfwm4 support the KDE protocol? It
> > could look for the _KDE_NET_WM_SYSTEM_TRAY_WINDOW_FOR property being set
> > and send a _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_OPCODE to XfceSystemTray. That shouldn't be
> > that hard, although I'm not entirely sure, whether the KDE tray icon stuff
> > conforms to the XEMBED standard.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't understand that sentence:
>
> > send a _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_OPCODE to XfceSystemTray.
>
> What's _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_OPCODE ? And what's XfceSystemTray ?
According to
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/systemtray/systemtray-spec.html
this is the code a client is supposed to send messages to the system
tray with to make it do stuff.

And XfceSystemTray will be the module containing the System Tray itself
once it is finished, I suppose. Though you think it should go into
xftaskbar for now.

So I think he means, he wants the window manager check for the old kde
property on windows, and if it finds one, generate "new-style" system
tray messages to make the result act as if they were the new one, making
it a proxy.

Sorry for the intrusion ;)

Danny