System tray implementation

Danny danny.milo at gmx.net
Sat Apr 19 18:41:51 CEST 2003

Am Sam, 2003-04-19 um 18.25 schrieb Moritz Heiber:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:10:06 +0200
> Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been working on a system tray implementation for some time now, and would
> > like the other developers to have a quick look at it. It can be found here:
> >
> > http://echobase.homeunix.net/~bmeurer/systray.tgz
>
> I wonder how this looks like .. any screenshots yet?
Well, there isn't much to see (if anything) of the system tray itself,
because it "only" embeds other applications' notifications.
But if you insist:
http://ifurita.kicks-ass.net/tray-stuff.png
and
http://ifurita.kicks-ass.net/tray-stuff-2.png
with some text added.
Well, you cannot see any big stuff there, as I said. More interesting is
the notification area specification on freedesktop.org ;)

The purpose of the system tray is to allow applications to brag to the
user without having their main window in the foreground ;)
Thats the interesting part, because you'd be able to see if you got new
mail, got an instant message, your disk space is running low, someone
portscanned you, someone connected to your ftp/whatever etc on first
glimse...